Thursday, April 1, 2010

A Little Lagniappe

In less than a week I will be on my way back to my old stomping grounds in the French Quarter.

go ahead and click "play"... 'cause this blog post has a soundtrack...



This is my old apartment on Madison:



My place was the first balcony ..... that balcony was the PERFECT  height. Every night at 7pm the garbage truck would stop and instead of leaving it all on the street like everyone else, I could just lean over the railing and drop it right in the truck. Loved that! (especially when I ran out of garbage bags and I could just dump the can in there...)

At the end of my street (it was only a block long... which was AWESOME!) was Cafe DuMonde...



 Cafe Du Monde was great.. you could go and snag 3 beignets for $1.10 and a cup of hot cocoa (or chicory coffee, blech!..or just some french roast)



If you didn't cross Decatur... and instead turned right.... there was a lil' Greek restaurant on the corner,  they had yummy gyros (and pronounced it the RIGHT WAY; i.e "year-oss", not "GY-ROE"), and a cigarette machine. Now it's "Cafe Beignet."

(still see my old place, now on the left?... man, talk about location, location, location!)

Now... if you just kept going down the block (you'd be on Decatur still)....


... and walk like 40'.........


TaaDaa!! You're in Jackson Square!... yes, Jackson Square was my backyard....


....and religious or not... St. Pauls Cathedral is REALLY beautiful....

(BTW... that's a statue of Andrew Jackson)

There were so many things I loved in New Orleans...

favorite bar:

favorite drink:
(The "hand grenade" used to come with a pamphlet listing warnings of what happens after you drink some.... and I'd like to point out that the first time I drank one of these was the night I met the man that I was engaged to and with for 5 years... and he's still one of my favorite people....)

It read...

Drink 1: Will lift your spirits and make you happy.
Drink 2: Will give you a nice buzz.
Drink 3: Will result in a complete loss of your inhibitions.  (*trust me this is TRUE)
Drink 4: Will cause you to dance in the streets.
Drink 5: You're on your own. Not recommendable to drink 5!

 I can honestly say... that list of warnings should be taken seriously... no joke. Damn they are yummy! Tastes like a liquid, and very potent, Jolly Rancher®.

Favorite Living Artist:

& then there are a zillion little cafes and places to snag a yummy bite to eat... listing the names 'um of would take all night!

Oh... and also...
the funny stuff like drive-thru daiquiri bars...
 

this video pretty much says it all..... seriously, it's hysterical.

(y'all caught the "keeyaw….Nachos, apostrophe “s” part right? ha!)

I could list all sorts of stuff for hours, but the reality is... you should just go there. It is so much fun...

 

BUT... before you do... heehee... have you seen THIS LIST going around the internet as of late? Right after I saw it, I not only started telling all my closest male friends that if a woman asks them where their last name comes from to say "Oh, it's Cajun," and if they ask for a middle name... tell 'um it's "Bocephus." :) ..but I realized "No wonder I'm going to New Orleans in less than a week....."

 Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler!

No comments:

Post a Comment