Wednesday, January 12, 2011

An American Girlfriend In London, Pt 8: It Ain't Brigadoon, It's Better


I am writing this a few days in advance, and will set it so it posts later this week... so if I did that right, you are reading this on my birthday (January 12th)... and I intend to be nowhere near the computer. I will have traveled from London up to the highlands of Scotland to go spend my birthday in one of the places I love most in this world (Kincraig) and with friends there that I have not seen in ages. The BF has stayed in London. I don't need a party, I don't need gifts, I don't need cake, or a special meal....




I just want to wake up on the morning of January 12th 2011 and look out over the rugged landscape of the highlands and know that some of my heart is back... because I left a very large chunk of it the last time I was here.

 

I will never tire of the beauty of the snow capped Cairngorms, the stags roaming the hills, the giant fields of sheep, and the almost random ruins of eras gone by as I wander through the hills. There is nothing I don't find beautiful here, and I often wonder how it was that I was born, and grew up, so far away. I've never been to another place on earth that felt more like home than the highlands ... so for my birthday this year... 


I'm going home.


5 comments:

  1. Wonderful! I love photos, did you take them? It's really a beautiful landscape I would love to go there someday.

    I wish you a very Happy Birthday and may all your wishes come true. I'm sure you're having an awesome day in the middle of nowhere in Kincraig :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only ever visited Edinburgh, Glasgow and St Andrews, I would love to visit the highlands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to inform you that there’s a surprise waiting for you on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Starlight: thank you for my "surprise", very unexpected :)
    & no, the pictures posted were not taken by me... but the last photo IS me (in 2005) in the highlands when I first lived there.

    @CakeBetch: I know, right? Simply stunning place.

    @Simon: I could not possibly recommend it more! THOUGH.. if you do end up going and need some recommendations for places to stay/eat, & things to do... I would be more than happy to hook you up with a bunch of info.

    ReplyDelete