Monday, April 18, 2011

Monday, Monday

Monday Monday, so good to me,
Monday morning, it was all I hoped it would be
Oh Monday morning, Monday morning couldn't guarantee
That Monday evening you would still be here with me.


Early this morning my Mother and her husband went to the hospital... it was planned. Her husband Wayne had a scheduled surgery for a pacemaker. I went to bed early last night and set my alarm so I'd be awake if my mother needed/wanted to chat while Wayne was in surgery. The waiting always seems to be the hardest part for people, at least for me it is. Usually a person either needs/wants someone to vent their fears with... or someone to take their mind off things completely. I was ready. My Mother knows quite well that I can blabber on and on about the most ridiculous things sometimes. (You read my blog, you know this!) I'm sure the fact that I'd want to discuss the idea of building a massive luge out of a giant PVC pipe, split down the middle, that leads from my top deck down to the part of the yard where cars are parked could have come in handy. (Almost as handy as that luge would be if I could just get it built.) I received a text from her at 10:54am that said "He's done and fine!" as well as a phone call at 11:15am to tell me that again. Needless to say... my Monday had started out quite nicely.   
Monday Monday, can't trust that day,
Monday Monday, sometimes it just turns out that way
Oh Monday morning, you gave me no warning of what was to be
Oh Monday Monday, how you could leave and not take me.

 
An hour later I got a call from a friend in California that unleashed holy hell on me for not answering my phone/returning their calls & text messages on Saturday night. They really didn't seem to care when I explained to them that I had tried to go to bed early that night. I still wasn't even able to go to sleep till about 3am thanks to a zillion other reasons, but their constant badgering via cell phone played a large roll in that. (I had to have it next to me while in bed since it was my only source of alarm clock) I reminded them that there was a time difference between the east coast & the west coast... did they care? Nope. They, in fact, had the nerve to tell me today "but you are always up late! Why would that night be any different?! You were just ignoring me! Why?! You didn't even call me on Sunday!" Well, I told them it was because I had to get up early on Sunday to meet up with friends and catch the ferry boat to go to the mainland for a baby shower of a close friend... not that THAT was any of their business... but I told them anyway. I was (stupidly) expecting an apology. I waited in vain for that. Know what I got instead? I got them yelling at me about how it was totally "uncool" (really? "uncool"?) of me to not respond, and that they "needed" me Saturday night and I was obviously being selfish. "Obviously"? SERIOUSLY?!
    I asked them "do you still need to talk about whatever was bothering you on Saturday night?" They said they did... so you know what my "obviously uncool & selfish" self did? I told them "well, I hope you find someone that gives a shit, because I no longer do. I've put up with you, for YEARS, calling me at all hours to discuss crap that most normal people really couldn't give a flying fuck about, but I felt bad, I thought you just needed someone to listen, and I was willing to be that friend. I'm not willing to be that friend anymore. In fact I don't think I'm willing to be your friend at all. You know, since I'm such an "obviously uncool and selfish" person you should have already known this about me" .... and then I just *click* hung up.
    I then mentally made a check mark on my list of things I wanted to change in 2011, and a few tears fell as I did it. They were a friend for many years, and we did have some good times together, but... yeah... no real friend should treat another the way they treated me. Of course me just hanging up on them and being rude as hell probably didn't help, but I was pissed off. Wouldn't you be? Please tell me I wasn't being irrational. (Maybe I should have just said "know what? Start a blog, bitch about things to your heart's content... someone is bound to read it"....)
  
Every other day, every other day,
Every other day of the week is fine, yeah
But whenever Monday comes, but whenever Monday comes
You can find me cryin' all of the time
 

I just don't think I even want to leave the house today. Sure it's sunny out (thank you sunshine!) but, as anyone who has read my blog lately would know, I need to keep working on cleaning up (& out) my house. Apparently 2011 is my year for purging things.  I need to purge all clutter, physical, mental, and emotional. I'm talking everything from old clothes that don't fit, to people that are totally toxic to me. Hell, I'm even purging things off my calender.
It's one of those things that, in theory, sounds so easy. "Out with the old, in with the new".... it's not that easy... but I'm trying.

Monday Monday, ...

Today I will focus. Today I AM focused. My Mother's husband, Wayne, made it through surgery with ZERO complications and is recovering nicely. I'm taking THAT part of my morning to get me through the rest of today. (& what a great thing it is! I adore that man!) That is what is going to keep me motivated to keep going and "git 'er done." ..... and I'm turning my phone off.
What do you do when you need to focus and just block out the sucky stuff?

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good news about your mom's husband!
    As to the "friend" and her phone call. You had every right to be totally pissed off. It sounds like the kind of person who sucks the life out of you anyway! And what is it about people always insisting on immediate responses. I guess that's the price we pay for cell phones and texting (which I refuse to do).
    I'm sure your life will be better without that "friend."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bea- I got your comment before you deleted it (the arrive via email)... sorry you deleted it, was happy to see it.

    Pat- you're totally right, 'cept "she" is actually a "he"... didn't expect that one, eh? I miss those days when you could just come home to a flashing red light telling you that people called, and make a decision to listen or not. Sure cell phones come in hand (truthfully, a lot of the time), but the days of just waiting it out seem to be gone, gone, gone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. *theY arrive via email
    *grumble*stupid typos*grumble*

    ReplyDelete
  5. GG--- Hugs- More Hugs-- HEY! LISTEN--HUG me back now!

    Love the song, what you are doing, and Glad everything turned out well for Wayne! That is awesome. It's always harder on the waiting than the person having the stuff done I think!

    I can't wait to do the guest post-- do I write it--send it to you--post it here with a link or what?

    Sorry I'm so dumb about it--and my guess is you WANT IT NOW!!!!!


    Monday Monday!!! Can't trust that Day!!!!!!! Lovin it!

    :-)

    J

    ReplyDelete
  6. John, thank you again.. & *hugs* to you too!
    As for the guest post... no, you just send it to me via email and I'll let you know when it's gonna be posted here so you can provide a link to it on your blog if you'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad that Wayne is doing very well! I have had to end a few toxic 'friendships' as well- you were NOT being irrational. Promise. ;) Once someone becomes so focused on how YOU were not there for THEM, but is never available for you, it's time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Maggie! And yeah, you're totally right. Amazing how long it can take us sometimes to notice that sort of toxicity in certain "friendships."
    (PS. I totally dig your blog!)

    ReplyDelete